Resources for Alaveteli site owners
Get to know your new site, and what your users can do with it
So, you’re running an Alaveteli site. What do you need to know? Probably not much about the FOI law in your country — the chances are that you are a bit of an expert on that. But running an information service online? Well, that brings its own challenges.
We at mySociety have run our own Alaveteli site, WhatDoTheyKnow.com, since 2008, and our friendly network contains many more people like you who run FOI sites around the world, all ready to give you the benefit of their experience.
We’ve made a start by collecting together some training materials. Some we made ourselves, some come from members of that global community. You can take whatever you need, and feel free to adapt them for your users as well.
How you can help
- Once you know the ropes yourself, perhaps you’ll contribute some more materials for others to learn from.
- Or look at the existing materials below — could you provide subtitles or a transcript in your language?
- How to make an FOI request (in English)
- Responding to and managing an FOI request using Alaveteli (in English)
- Making a batch request (in English)
- Viewing and managing responses to batch requests (in English)
- Workshop: How to use FOI to find information (in English)
- Workshop: How campaigns can make change with FOI (in English)
- How to use MaDada (in French)
- A course: Digital FOI: How to make, manage and escalate Freedom of Information requests using Alaveteli Pro sites (in English)